“Kal bhi, aaj bhi, aaj bhi kal bhi,..” goes the jingle of one my all-time favorite ads in Indian TV and this was for the “VIP” luggage. I’m not sure so much of the “Facebook” generation, but I’m certain that this ad resonates with what I call as the “Doordarshan” generation to which I belong. Every generation grows up on something which it then holds with much nostalgia for life. I for one, grew up when Doordarshan just started ruling the airwaves in the 80s. With the wisdom of hindsight, one can say that the technology was prosaic, the choice was none and the content naive but it was a time when for most, wake up alarm on a Sunday would be the sound of the conch in “Mahabharat”, guests had to just wait if they dropped by during “Hum log”, Sunday evenings were not for Dine out but for “Movie in” and ‘TGIF” was not for pubbing but for getting home to catch the latest film songs with “Chitrahaar” or “Oliyum Oliyum” !!!
Interspersed with these were the TVCs through which marketers of the day were trying to increase the market share of their company’s wares. This blog is a tribute to some of that work which in my opinion is memorable. They may not be the best from marketing theory or strategic stand point but unforgettable certainly they are!!!
The list ( TVCs of the 80’s ) follows just the alphabetical order and is not a ranking of any kind:
1. Bajaj Scooters – “Hamara Bajaj” – The commercial captured the mood of the rising or rather riding India those days – the jingle of course was masterclass.
2. Fevicol – ” Zor Ka Jhatka” – This ad started the creative journey of the brand I must say. ( features Rajkumar Hirani as a model !!! ). Much later the advg. which had raw humor as its thread would catapult the brand to a marketing trailblazer !
3. Frooti – ” Mango Frooti – Fresh’n juicy” – Made Frooti a “Xerox” of tetrapack fruit drinks. Even today in trains they don’t sell fruit drinks, they sell only Frooti !!! Why then grow up ?
4. Godrej Storwel : Made gifting a Storwel a norm during marriages ! I’m also a bit biased here ( I started my career with
5. Maggi Sauce : ” Its different” – While most ads become memorable becoz of endearing images or jingle this appealed to one’s taste because of its idea, story and its characters. Javed Jafry and Pankaj Kapur certainly made it different boss!
6. Nirma : “Washing powder Nirma” – Doodh se safedi, Nirma se aayi – Even the brand managers feel that the jingle is so memorable that they continue the link even to this day !!! The original commercial was typically made Sasta, Sundar but tikau ! In the 90’s Nirma rattled the hell out of Hindustan Lever at one time !
7. Pan Parag : The script, the actors ( Shammi Kappor, Ashok Kumar ) a typical Hindi move scene type – a great mix. Made the brand a 1st mover in this category. Ghutka in sachets became fashionable !
8. Rasna : ” I lov u, Rasna” – This line and the Rasna Girl made the ad such a lovable one. It remains an Old Classic. Where is Rasna and the Girl today ?
9. Surf – “Lalitaji” – Alyque Padamsee’s claim to fame. It related to the middle class and tried to change buying habits and succeeded too ! Though I felt the lady a bit irritating those days !
10. Tata Steel : “We also make steel” : This shows that an ad can become memorable without a great jingle. One of my personal favorite corporate campaigns !
11. Vicks – “Gale Mein Kich Kich” – The models did a great job.
12. Videocon Washing machine : A very simple straight forward ad which became famous because of its catchy jingle.
13. VIP Luggage : Kal bhi – Touches an emotional chord with its poetic lines and imagery – I thought it was a great campaign which removed functionality and brought emotions into this category advg.
14. Woodwards Gripe Water : I remember this ad more in Tamil. ” Enna Aachu ? / Kya Hua ? ” A simple idea, executed very well.
15. Mile Sur Mera tumhara – Though it was not a TVC perse, one cannot miss this video in any list which talks of DD or “Good old days“.
Well I’m not sure if that list was exhaustive and covered all great TVCs of the 80’s. It would be nice if readers pitch in as well which will take us back to those unpretentious days when sitting in front of the TV and watching ” Prannoy Roy’s – The World this week” was more exciting than today’s news that keeps “breaking” by the minute !
That brings to the end of this piece which looking back could have been titled “Memoradilia“ !!!
9 thoughts on “Kal bhi, Aaj bhi, Aaj bhi Kal bhi,…”
One more to the list :Gold spot the zing thing :
Thanks Gokul, You are “SPOT” on reg. that one !!!
Sir you forgot the Vicco Vajradanti ad..nice article again
Yes m’aam, I forgot but the makers it seems haven’t !. They are still playing the same old commercial even now !!!
very nostalgic………….those were the days !!
very good compilation….
Neeraj, thanks !
I missed this Post!! Just saw this one !!! Very good collection. Also TITAN ad.. that music and also Britannia biscuit ad “tin tin tindne”
Karthik, thanks. The ones you mentioned came in later. Hence I didn’t include. Yes they are also classic commercials.